“I was hungry, and you gave me food…” Christ’s admonition rings true in every season, but especially as groups begin to plan fall and winter activities, and think about projects for helping the poor at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Providing assistance to families in need has traditionally been part of the mission of Catholic Charities. Due to local and national economic conditions, we have seen an increase in the number of requests for aid. Without help, many families in northwest Indiana will be hungry, even for the holidays.
If you are planning to assist needy families with food and/or gifts for the holidays, or on a seasonal basis, please consider joining your project to the work of Catholic Charities.
Program Associate Charlene Joyce and Program Director Judy Meux sorted various toiletries collected by the Foster Grandparents and Senior Companions. Items were then donated to the Calumet Township Shelter in Gary, Claude Street Shelter in Hammond, and the We Care From the Heart Social Services in East Chicago.
Here are a few ways to help:
- Shop for a family at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Provide the ingredients for a traditional meal and/or provide items that cannot be purchased with food stamps. These products include disposable paper products such as paper toweling and diapers, plastic and foil wrap, soap, detergent, toothpaste, shampoo, and other personal hygiene products.
- Purchase and wrap Christmas gifts for a child or a family. We can tell you ages, sex and sizes, even special requests and needs.
- Provide a gift pack for an elderly person
- Donate gift certificates or make a cash contribution
- Pay December’s rent or utility bill for a low income family
If you have an idea for a special project, we can help you make it happen. Please contact me for further information regarding our Thanksgiving and Christmas drives.
219-886-3549 x 313
Help meet the Challenge…
Catholic Charities is supported by the generosity of many people and organizations sharing our mission of service to the community. There are ways you can help:
- Make an unrestricted cash donation
- Designate your contribution to a specific program
- Remember Catholic Charities in your will or trust
- Give a gift of appreciated securities, real estate or tangible property
- Volunteer your time and talents
- Donate a used vehicle
- Call to make a donation using Visa, Mastercard or Discover
For further information:
Phone: (219) 886-3549 x 325
Write: Catholic Charities Development
Gary IN 46402
We help those in need.
Catholic Charities is a tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Your contribution is tax-deductible to the extent provided by law. We will not sell or trade your personal information to any other entity.
Return to Top
About Catholic Charities | Community Services | Marriage & Family Life Ministry | Programs for Seniors
How to Help | News & Events | Resources & Links | Area Offices | Financial Information | Contact Us | Home
Legal Notice | Privacy Statement | Site Map
Copyright © Catholic Charities, Diocese of Gary, Inc.
Web Site Development, Hosting & Maintenance By Catalyst Marketing Innovations, LLC/ Worry Free Websites